RESCHEDULED! Downeast Coastal Conservancy and Downeast Lakes Land Trust are coming together for a “Downeast Day on the Ice”. Join us at Vining Lake Community Preserve, located in Cooper on February 12th for activities for all ages!
• Land trust staff and volunteers will be on the ice all morning with ice fishing equipment and lessons
• Join Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife for a naturalist demonstration and/or DCC and DLLT staff for a winter ecology hike at the preserve
• Give snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and ice-skating a try! We’ll have the equipment on site for you to borrow, FREE! With Spencer from WCCC’s Outdoor Adventure Center there to assist with any tips, tricks, and lessons needed!
• Take a short ride by horse-drawn sled with Ron Kilby and his draft horses!
• Participate in a snow sculpture contest or make some ice bubbles!
• Visit the Maine Mammal Furs touch table and learn about fascinating facts!
• Pick up a children’s themed craft, animal tracking resources, and learn about the Washington County 4H Program.
• And then warm up by the fire pit, roast s’mores, and taste a sampling of smoked fish!
Everything is FREE! The event runs from 8am – 1pm on Saturday, February 12th. Date is subject to change depending on winter conditions. Follow DCC and DLLT on social media or check back to our websites for updates!